Pages

2012 Prayer

"My goal is to know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death, assuming that I will somehow reach the resurrection from among the dead. Not that I have already reached the goal or am already fully mature, but I make ever effort to take hold of it because I also have been taken hold of by Christ Jesus." Philippians 3: 10-12

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Devotional Time

Well, I was ready to type in my next journal entry, but looked and found out that our first Monday in Uganda was the first day that I came home and just wrote down phrases to remind me what had happened on that day. As I read over them, I was overwhelmed once again how awesome our God is. There are so many stories to share about my first day of hut to hut this time. However, because of time constraints today and other responsibilities I am going to share with you the devotional that I shared with the team on Monday morning before we split and headed to our various ministry posts. It was my turn to give the devotion and the Lord had me share from Psalm 115. I promise my next blog will begin with the God stories that he allowed me to participate. :)

Psalm 115
Not to us, O LORD, not to us,
But to Your name give glory
Because of Your lovingkindness, because of Your truth

The opening verse to the psalm reminds us that the reason we were in Uganda was not for our own glory, but for the Lord's.
Why should the nations say,
'Where, now, is their God?'
But our God is in the heavens;
He does whatever He pleases.

Our God is not accountable to us at all. He is almighty and powerful and does not work according to our ways. This reminded me that I was in Uganda not from anything I could have done, but because God worked it out for me to be there.

Their idols are silver and gold,
The work of man's hands.
They have mouths, but they cannot speak;
They have eyes, but they cannot see;
They have ears, but they cannot hear;
They have noses, but they cannot smell;
They have hands, but they cannot feel;
They have feet, but they cannot walk;
They cannot make a sound with their throat.
Those who make them will become like them,
Everyone who trusts in them.


God revealed to me that man has tried to recreate and be god himself. Each of the above mentioned work of man's hands has to deal with our five senses...mouth, eyes, ears, noses, hands, feet...Many people in Uganda have been trying to make idols for themselves and to be god. However, the verse states that those who make idols and places their trust in them, they too will become like them...unable to speak, see, hear, smell, feel, or walk. Basically, they will be dead.

O Israel, trust in the LORD;
He is their help and their shield.
O house of Aaron, trust in the LORD;
He is their help and their shield.
You who fear the LORD, trust in the LORD:
He is their help and their shield.
The LORD has been mindful of us; He will bless us;
He will bless the house of Israel;
he will bless the house of Aaron.
He will bless those who fear the LORD,
The small together with the great.

Here, I began to ponder what Israel and Aaron stand for. Then God revealed to me that Israel is the nation. If nations trust in the Lord, then God will be their help and their shield. Aaron was the head priest. He was a leader. If leaders will trust in the Lord, then God will be their help and their shield. Then all those who fear the Lord and trust in him, God will be their help and their shield. It was important for us to remember that our trust should be in the Lord and that God is our help and our shield.

The next verse I almost skipped. I told the group that I thought Scott and I already had enough children and we were tremendously blessed already!!
May the LORD give you increase,
You and your children.
May you be blessed of the LORD,
Maker of heaven and earth.
The heavens are the heavens of the LORD,
But the earth He has given to the sons of men.
The dead do not praise the LORD,
Nor do any who go down into silence;
But as for us, we will bless the LORD
From this time forth and forever.
Praise the LORD!


The Psalm ends with a reminder that the dead cannot praise the Lord. Idols and those who make them are unable to praise the Lord. But we who trust in the Lord and know him are capable of praising the Lord and are able to share this with others.
It was our responsibility to share with the Ugandans who the true creator is and the relationship he desires to have with them. It is still our responsibility over here in the states to share with those around us who the true creator is and the relationship he wants to have with them.

Lord, we praise your name. May we never become dead as the idols we sometimes try to make. Help us to fear you and place our total trust in you instead of trying to force you to be accountable to us. May you receive all the glory and praise as we share with others the great creator God we serve. Be our help and our shield as we go into the harvest you have prepared. In Jesus Name, Amiina!!

1 comment:

  1. I needed to hear this...speaks strongly...God is above ALL. He is EVERYTHING..now, may we all put Him in His rightful place!
    I am praising God for giving you this opportunity. He is AWESOME!!

    ReplyDelete