Pages

2012 Prayer

"My goal is to know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death, assuming that I will somehow reach the resurrection from among the dead. Not that I have already reached the goal or am already fully mature, but I make ever effort to take hold of it because I also have been taken hold of by Christ Jesus." Philippians 3: 10-12

Monday, April 2, 2012

Passion Week In the Gospel of Matthew


If you knew you were to die in four days, how would you live your life?  This is the question I asked myself regarding Jesus’ last days here on earth as the Son of Man in the flesh.  Please join me over the next four days as we read through each of the gospel accounts to see how Jesus spent His time.  Take some time to read each passage and then comment as to what the Holy Spirit is sharing with you about a particular one.  As we each share, may we be encouraged by one another in the work God did and is continuing to do through His Son.

It is interesting to me that the first thing Jesus did upon entering Jerusalem and being hailed as King and Son of David, He goes into the temple and begins to unleash His righteous anger.  I wonder what all the people who just hailed Him as Hosanna were thinking?  In addition, Matthew's gospel records he healed the lame and the blind on that same day in the temple and the children too were shouting "Hosanna to the Son of David!"  How cool is that?  I love listening to my children praise their Lord.  I bet it was music to Christ's ears

Just another passage that reminds me that Jesus was truly God in the flesh.  Jesus was hungry!!  I can so relate.  I am a morning person and I like to eat breakfast pretty much first thing in the morning.  Here Jesus was early in the morning and hungry and couldn't find a fig on a tree.  

When Jesus finally gets to the temple, the first thing He does is address the Pharisees again.  Why is answering the Pharisees questions the last couple of days before He dies so important

It appears Jesus spent his last week sharing that He came to save those who are lost.  Those who think they have their life together (Pharisees, rich, etc.) believe they do not need a Savior.  Jesus spent His time telling the people that He did indeed come for those who are weak, burden, sick, and considered to be the lowliest in the world. 

Jesus took the time in His last days to remind everyone what belongs to the government is the governments and what is the Lord's belongs to the Lord's.  This is also seen later in Matthew 23:1-29 where Jesus goes into much detail about the status of those in leadership positions.  God has really been showing me a new perspective through passages like these and those I spoke of in Government—God’s servant.

The Pharisees and Sadducees spent the majority of Jesus’ last days on earth questioning and trying to get Him killed instead of cherishing Him dwelling amongst them.  How do we spend the majority of our day when we have the Holy Spirit dwelling in us at all times?  Ouch! 

Matthew 22:22 and 33 states: “When they heard this, they were amazed…And when the crowds heard this, they were astonished at His teaching.”  Are we amazed and astonished at His teachings?   Do we take the time to read His word and be astonished?

Matthew 24-25:46
Covering two whole chapters, Jesus spends a majority of time talking with His disciples about the future.  I believe it is these last few days of their time with Jesus the disciples look back on after He has risen and take comfort in.  Just as we often are allowed the opportunity to take comfort in those last days we spend with our loved ones before they pass on. 

Overall Reflections:
The Pharisees and Sadducees where too good for Jesus.  They were already perfect and did not need a Savior.  They were unwilling to humbly bend the need and ask for forgiveness for their self-righteousness even when they knew Jesus was talking about them.   What about you?  Do you have your life together?  Are you satisfied with the work and person you have created on your own?  This Easter, why not submit to the Lord Jesus Christ and accept the work He has done on the cross for you?  He came for you.  You do not have to be perfect or clean yourself up before going to Him.  He will do the cleaning up and make you new.  The only perfect life you can truly have is the one Christ covers you in through His blood.  Then and only then are you made as white as snow.
“How joyful is the one whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered!  How joyful is the man the LORD does not charge with sin and in whose spirit is no deceit!”  Psalm 32:1-2
 My Heart’s Prayer:  “When I kept silent, my bones became brittle from my groaning all day long.  For day and night Your hand was heavy on me; my strength was drained as in the summer’s heat.  Then I acknowledged my sin to You and did not conceal my iniquity. I said, `I will confess my transgressions to the LORD,’ and You took away the guilt of my sin.”

Palm Sunday Hosanna Triumphant Entry Church Video from sharefaith on GodTube.


No comments:

Post a Comment