Pages

2012 Prayer

"My goal is to know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death, assuming that I will somehow reach the resurrection from among the dead. Not that I have already reached the goal or am already fully mature, but I make ever effort to take hold of it because I also have been taken hold of by Christ Jesus." Philippians 3: 10-12

Thursday, February 4, 2010

Body Guard

Today in my devotional reading, I stopped and meditated on Psalm 121:

"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains; From where shall my help come?

My help comes from the LORD, Who made heaven and earth.

He will not allow your foot to slip; He who keeps you will not slumber.

Behold, He who keeps Israel Will neither slumber nor sleep.

The LORD is your keeper; The LORD is your shade on your right hand.

The sun will not smite you by day, Nor the moon by night.

The LORD will protect you from all evil; He will keep your soul.

The LORD will guard your going out and your coming in

From this time forth and forever."

After meditating on this passage, it struck me that God is my body guard. I began to think about this image. Body guards protect the people they are responsible for guarding. They go everywhere with them. If one decides to go somewhere that is unsafe or not a wise place to be, the body guard will give a warning and may even try to stop the individual, but ultimately that individual makes their own choices.

God is my body guard and even though I sometimes choose to go places I shouldn't or refuse to listen to His warnings, He is still protecting me and guarding me as I go out and as I come in. This does not mean that I should take advantage of His protection, for Romans 6:1 clearly states, "Shall we continue in sin so that grace may increase? May it never be!" What Psalm 121 does show is that we can depend on the Creator of the Heavens and the earth to be our unshakable rock, who never sleeps and is always there to protect us. For even when I make wrong choices, He is loyal and faithful to me. He is my only help in times of need.

No comments:

Post a Comment