Pages

2012 Prayer

"My goal is to know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death, assuming that I will somehow reach the resurrection from among the dead. Not that I have already reached the goal or am already fully mature, but I make ever effort to take hold of it because I also have been taken hold of by Christ Jesus." Philippians 3: 10-12

Monday, June 7, 2010

Building a House in Vain

Today I woke up with good intentions to spend some “quality time” with the Lord. However, I did not get the opportunity the way I expected to. The kids got up early (or rather I got a later start than I wanted to) and one thing led to another and I was unable to express in writing what has been on my heart.

It has been a really long time since I have had the opportunity to sit down and reflect on what the Lord has been doing in my life. Everything from my graduation, buying and moving into a house, and Scott considering taking a job as a pastor has had me overwhelmed and busy. In fact, it has kept me so busy that I have not spent much quality time in the word or with my friend Jesus Christ. Over the last few weeks as we have been busy painting and moving things into our house, I have been filled with an urgency to get everything situated and have ignored God’s desire to get my spiritual life situated!! What a wake-up call I had through God’s word. Part of my reading included Psalm 127:

“Unless the LORD builds the house, They labor in vain who build it; Unless the LORD guards the city, The watchman keeps awake in vain. It is vain for you to rise up early, to retire late, to eat the bread of painful labors; For He gives to His beloved even in his sleep.
Behold, children are a gift of the LORD, the fruit of the womb is a reward, like arrows in the hand of a warrior, so are the children of one’s youth. How blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them; They will not be ashamed when they speak with their enemies in the gate.”

This passage hit me hard, as I have been “building my house in vain.” I have gotten up early and stayed up late trying to get the house “just right.” I have focused so hard on the house and have been so stressed about getting it all done, that I have sacrificed the real gift the Lord has given to my—my family!! Lord, help me to not labor in vain, but to allow you to give to me even in my sleep. Help me to cherish the special gift of my children. Help me to spend quality time with them today so that they will know how special they are to you and to me. In Jesus Name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment