Pages

2012 Prayer

"My goal is to know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death, assuming that I will somehow reach the resurrection from among the dead. Not that I have already reached the goal or am already fully mature, but I make ever effort to take hold of it because I also have been taken hold of by Christ Jesus." Philippians 3: 10-12

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Is God on Vibrate? Part 2


So maybe we have moved our lines of communication with God to “ringer on” and off of “vibrate.”  But how do we hear when He speaks to us in the hustle and bustle of our lives?  We’ve all been in places where the noise of the restaurant or store that we were in caused us to miss a call even when our phone was on high and ringing.  What does a life with our God ringer “turned on” and off of vibrate look like?   


Many of you undoubtedly have viewed the movie CourageousThere is a scene in the movie which demonstrates one way how a believer can live their life on earth while still hearing the call of God on their lives.  The character Javier is walking down the street, praying and desperately crying out to God for an answer after being denied work, when Adam calls out, “Javier” and tells him to come help him build his shed.  He is stunned and not knowing what else to do, he works all day for Adam and gets paid $150.  That night, Javier sits at the table with his wife and tells her, “Few times have I ever felt that God was helping my faith.  But today was one of them.”  Javier turned God off vibrate, heard God’s call, answered, was blessed, and strengthened in his faith because of his obedience.

Another way a believer can practice hearing and answering God’s call is through practicing the discipline of prayer and fasting.  This lent season, our family has decided to read through the book Amon’s Adventure.  (It is by the same author of the books we have used during Advent to prepare our hearts for celebrating the birth of our Lord and Savior.)  In all my life, I have never participated in any formal lent activities.  It is NOT a requirement to enter heaven.  It is not something practiced within the denomination we attend, nor had I really given much thought to it.  However, this year, the Holy Spirit had begun to stir in me a desire to have a hungry to hear from God in a new way.  He stirred in me the desire to give something up in order to better prepare my heart and spirit to receive what it is God wants me to hear.  This has been extremely challenging for me and yet I have found every time I am reminded of the particular thing I surrendered, my thoughts turn to why I have denied myself and a spirit of prayer and thankfulness for the work Christ has done on the cross comes over me.  God has blessed this surrendering of something so small by allowing me to hear His voice in the midst of the chaotic and busy world I dwell.  God promises us that if we seek Him, we will find Him.  If we truly have a desire that comes from God to seek Him, He will open our ears to hear Him.  In Matthew 6:33, Jesus instructs us to “seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness.”  Jeremiah 29:12-14a states:
“You will call to me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you.  You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart.  I will be found by you”—this is the LORD’s declaration.” 
In the words of Arnold Ytreeide, author of Amon’s Adventure, “Are you seeking God?  Are you ready and willing to understand what he’s saying, and what he wants you to do?  Lent cannot be just a matter of ritual; it must be a matter of the heart.”
“God looks down from heaven on the sons of men to see if there are any who understand, any who seek God.” Psalm 53:2
Whether you are participating in a lent activity, setting aside special time to meditate on God’s word, praying in a small group, or any other activity to help you hear God’s ring, know that He is faithful to carry out the work He began in you and will continue to complete it until the day of Christ Jesus (Philippians 1:6). Let's turn God off of vibrate and on to ringer high!

My Heart’s Prayer: Father God, Great and Mighty Lord.  You are worthy to be praised.  Thank you for sending your Son to die on the cross for my sins.  Thank you that even if I was the only one, you love me so much you would still have come and taken my place.  Help me in my weakness to hear your call on my life.  Help me to answer your call throughout each and every day.  Give me the desire and ability to follow through in obedience in order to bring glory and honor to your name.  In Jesus Name, Amen.

1 comment:

  1. My sister and brother-in-law took God off of vibrate and what a blessing God has brought to numerous people around them, especially to Ralphaella and Wanna. Thank you Jesus! Check out their Ringer Story: http://youtu.be/xBfwr4P3eD0

    ReplyDelete