Pages

2012 Prayer

"My goal is to know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death, assuming that I will somehow reach the resurrection from among the dead. Not that I have already reached the goal or am already fully mature, but I make ever effort to take hold of it because I also have been taken hold of by Christ Jesus." Philippians 3: 10-12

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Where’s the Beef?


Thinking I pack his lunch in the mornings, Scott came home yesterday from work and asked me, “What happened this morning?” 
 
“What do you mean?” was my honest reply. 

“I mean, I went to open my lunch and all that was in it was an orange, chips, and some cookies. 

“What?!?” 


“I looked again to see if I had missed something.  I scratched my head and thought maybe I had already put something in the microwave to heat up, but nope.  That was all I had.”

Now bursting out in laughter, I asked, “There wasn’t a sandwich in your lunch?”

“Nope,”

Not being able to control myself, I kept laughing and telling him I could have sworn I made him a sandwich.  I always try to make his lunch the night before because while I am considered a morning person I truly am only awake enough in the morning to pull his lunch box out of the refrigerator and make my tea.  After I have had a cup of tea and done some reading then I am ready to go.  So as I was thinking back to what I possibly could have done it hit me…I had indeed not made him a sandwich because we had run out of lunch meat.  I had intended on picking some up from the store that evening when we were in town, but forgot.  Thus, Scott found himself at his lunchroom table asking himself, “Where’s the Beef?”

I know you think this extremely humorous!!!  But Scott did survive the day with his meager orange, chips, and cookies that did not miraculously get multiplied to share with the lunch room.  We did buy lunch meat last night.  I did make and pack his lunch so he has a sandwich today!!  And while my mind seems to be leaving me quicker each day I get older, the Lord was gracious to me in giving me this silly situation an illustration for our spiritual lives.

The Lord reminded me that we too are running around with no beef in our lives.  We wake up in the mornings and hit the floor running.  We grab our children, keys, and laptops and run out the door.  We may listen to Christian music on the radio and say a prayer while dropping the kids off at school or while stuck in traffic, but the real meat is missing from our lives.  How are we expected to be a living witness to those around us when they look at us and ask the question, “Where’s the beef?”  What makes you so different?” 

When we don’t take the time out of our day to really meet with God and chew on His word the Bible and allow the meat of His word to digest in our lives, then our lives do not have the proper spiritual nutrients it needs to sustain us through the day.   God’s word is a lamp for our feet and a light for our path (Psalm 119:105).  Not taking the time to meditate on God’s word leaves us fluffy and appealing on the outside, but the inside is hollow and empty.  Consider reading all of Psalm 119 throughout the day today.  Meditate on God’s word and allow His meat to digest within you.  For those on the go, check out: www.mystudybible.com as an excellent way to chew on God’s word any time and any place.

My Heart’s Prayer:  Lord, help me to not forsake the beef today.  Help me to chew and meditate on the most important thing that will have an impact not only for me personally but for my family and those around me.  Give me a craving for reading Your word.  In Jesus Name, Amen.

Special Announcement: today is the National Day of Prayer.  For those who are in the Tomball Area, please join us this evening as we pray for our nation, communities, and families.

Tomball Prayer Rally for National Day of Prayer

A time or worship through prayer and song to pray for our nation and community.
When
Thu, May 3, 7:00pm – 8:30pm GMT-05:00
Where
Quinn Rd. and Village Square Dr., Tomball, TX 77375



No comments:

Post a Comment