Pages

2012 Prayer

"My goal is to know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death, assuming that I will somehow reach the resurrection from among the dead. Not that I have already reached the goal or am already fully mature, but I make ever effort to take hold of it because I also have been taken hold of by Christ Jesus." Philippians 3: 10-12

Thursday, June 28, 2012

VBS Boot Camp


The Zbylot’s have been attending what we have termed VBS Boot Camp this year.  As God appears to have our family in a transition period, the kids are attending not one VBS, but TWO!!  In the mornings at FBC Tomball, the kids have learned about the Amazing Wonders of the world that God has created and the Amazing God we serve.  Then they come home, eat, take a nap and prepare to head to Babylon at Silver SpringsBaptist Church where they are learning about how God gives you what you need to handle change, stand up for what is right, and how He is always with them.  I would like to share with you how this VBS Boot Camp has eternally changed our family.


Last summer I began working through the book The Power of aPraying Kid with each of our children individually.  It was a powerful time and what led to Peter praying with me and Nathan praying with Scott to acknowledge Christ as their personal Lord and Savior.  We have never wanted to push any of our children to make a decision for Christ as it is so important for it to be their own relationship with Christ and not their parents.  Thus, we have allowed our children to pray as God led them and in His time.  While we rejoiced last summer with Peter and Nathan we continued to pray for clarity and a desire to express their faith publically continuing to pray for opportunities to see God’s work in their lives.

Fast forward to a few months ago.  The kids and I are listening to the morning devotional by Keys for Kids.  After it is over I typically ask the kids what they think regarding the message.  It was pretty silent for a while only to have the silence broken with the question from Nathan, “How can you know for sure you are going to heaven?”  Wow!!  I shared a little, but could tell Nathan really was uncomfortable talking even in front of his siblings.  So we all prayed together and Scott and I continued to pray for Nathan and Peter to have a desire to make their decision to follow Christ public and to solidify their relationship with Christ.  Just a few days later, our children’s minister had asked us to lead the children’s worship during late service on Sunday morning and it just so happened the same question Nathan asked just a few days before was one of the questions that was drawn from the bowl to be discussed that morning.  It was so neat to have front row seats and see God working in the life our child.

Then not too long after my mother took Peter for the night to spend some time celebrating his birthday.  When she brought him home the next day she told me that Peter was asking questions about baptism and how he wanted to be baptized!  Again front row seats to see God answering our prayers for desires to express their faith publically.

Now fast forward all the way to this week.  Nathan came home from FBC Tomball VBS Tuesday morning and drew a picture of Christ dying on the cross for the sins of the people.  That morning at VBS they had shared the ABC’s of how to ask Christ to be Lord of your life.  Having been praying all week for Nathan and Peter’s salvation to be solidified, I truly believe this is how Nathan was expressing how God was working in his life.  That night he asked me what he should draw the next day.  I told him, “Why don’t you ask God what He wants you to draw?”  Before I could get out of the bedroom, he told me he was going to draw the tomb.  Again, I could see how God was revealing Himself to this precious young boy He blessed us with over nine years ago through the death, burial, and resurrection story. 

Wednesday morning Scott and I were having some quiet time on the back porch before the busy day began and I shared with him what Nathan had drawn and said and how what I had been praying specifically for Nathan and Peter this week.  Together we prayed for God to move on the hearts of Nathan and Peter to solidify their relationship with Christ and to have a desire to express it publically through baptism.  Last night at Silver Springs Baptist Church the ABC’s were shared again.  This time Nathan and Peter both, while in separate classes, raised their hands to find out more about how to make Christ Lord of their lives.  Nathan had the opportunity to council with Brother James while Peter and two other young boys went with Scott. 

As we were traveling home our car was buzzing with seven children!!  Mostly about the fun and activities they had just participated in.  Scott shared how excited he was about the decisions that were made by four of the children in the car.  Being more reserved and quite frankly hesitant to believe the decisions that were seemingly made that night, I waited to see a sign that would “prove” what had just happened.  Yes, call me pharisaical and having a tremendous lack of faith regarding the power God has to move and speak to His children, but that is what I was feeling and I was really struggling with it. 

As we put Nathan and Peter to bed we asked Nathan what happened tonight.  He shared that he was kinder.  Still trying to probe for more of what kind of a decision he made, he told us that he just felt God told him to go.  Having already experienced with our oldest child at age four telling us God was talking to her on the side of the mountain we were climbing at Glorietta, New Mexico, I have no doubt He was speaking to Nathan last night.  Then Nathan began to talk about how Brother James shared how we are seedlings and that when we accept Christ as Lord of our life we are to grow and bear good fruit for Him so that others might see the fruit and accept Christ as their Lord as well.  The connection was beginning to take shape.  I asked Nathan if his kindness was a result of the change God was doing in His life and he said yes.  Then Scott asked Peter and Nathan if they had ever prayed to receive Christ before.  Nathan said “Yes” and Peter said, “Yes, remember I prayed with you mom.”  Then Scott asked them why they prayed again?  Nathan again said, “God told me to.”  Peter was a little unsure.  I said, do you think you didn’t quite understand everything the last time.  They both said yes, and Peter said with a smile, “I understand it all now” and shared more about what it means to accept Christ.  We prayed together and let the boys get some much needed sleep.

Scott shared with me how Peter was adamant and certain in his responses during the counsel time period at the church.  We have no doubt that God has moved on the hearts of Nathan and Peter and I am so thankful I serve a God who is willing to tangibly show the work of His hand in the lives of our children despite my resistance to believe. 

My Heart’s Prayer: Forgive me Lord for being slow to accept your mighty work.  Lord, increase my faith and help my disbelief.  I ask you prevent Satan from trying to keep me from walking by faith and sharing in the glorious work you are doing right here in my own family.  Thank you Lord Jesus for calling Nathan and Peter into a personal relationship with you so that we can glorify you as a family forever in eternity!!  I pray that you would continue to speak to Hannah, Dawson, Nathan and Peter as you reveal Yourself to them as only You can do.  In Jesus Name, Amen.

Below is Nathan's Picture.  He wanted to make sure you knew the blood dripping from the cross was red even though it didn't show up in this picture. :) The words say Crucify Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment